We provide independent advice with the aim of achieving a Great Britain free from the consequences of gambling-related harms.
Our board members bring a wide range of experience including:
- consumer protection
- public health
- policy making
- treatment, addiction and counselling expertise
- preventive education
- qualitative and quantitative research expertise
The role of the Advisory Board for Safer Gambling
We are an independent expert advisory board which:
- helps deliver the National Strategy to Reduce Gambling Harms
- helps increase research capacity and capability through engaging with a wide range of experts
- helps share findings about best practice so they have an impact
- helps solve policy dilemmas where research evidence is lacking or ambiguous.
We do this by:
- providing independent advice to the Gambling Commission on the implementation of the National Strategy to Reduce Gambling Harms
- monitoring progress of the Strategy
- recommending priorities for research
- strengthening prevention and treatment through robust research, evaluation and practice
- working collaboratively with others who have expertise, bringing them together to discuss issues of mutual concern.
Our values are:
- integrity - we are honest, we listen to others and consider carefully diverse views
- transparency - we are open
- excellence - we are committed to high standards
- collaborative - we work with other to reduce harm
How the Advisory Board for Safer Gambling is funded
The Advisory Board for Safer Gambling is funded, and is provided with secretariat support by the Gambling Commission.